About the Monastery
for the time being, unfortunately, we don‘t have a lot of information about the history of the site and the Monastery.
Presumably, the land on which the Monastery was built, belonged to the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem for many centuries.
In 1894, in the time of the Patriarch of Jerusalem Gerasimos, the Church, dedicated to the Nativity of st. John the Baptist was built. Until 1948, the Church provided Services and Ceremonies for the Greek Orthodox Community of the Ein-Karem village.
After the events of 1948, the community ceased to exist and the village was attached to the Municipality of Jerusalem. Since then, Liturgies in the Monastery were provided mostly for the feasts connected with st. John the Baptist. Different Monks of the Patriarchate were Superiors of the Monastery during this long period.
In 2005, according to the blessing of His Holy Beatitude the Patriarch of the Holy City of Jerusalem Theophilos and by the decision of the Holy Synod, Monk Khariton was appointed Superior. In the last 15 years some renovation works took place under his supervision.
Since February of 2020, according to the blessing of His Holy Beatitude and the decision of the Synod, Liturgies for the Russian speaking Community of Jerusalem and its surroundings are provided.
The currently serving priest is father Nikolay Kulinsky.
Superior of the Monastery
Monk Khariton was born in Patra, a city on the Peloponnesus peninsula in Greece.
In 1999 he arrived in Jerusalem.
In the same year he was tonsured to become a Monk and joined the Holy Sepulchre brotherhood.
Since then he fulfilled different duties in the Patriarchate and in 2005 according to the blessing of His Beatitude the Patriarch of the Holy City of Jerusalem Theophilos and by decision of the Holy Synod, was appointed the superior of the Monastery of st. John the Baptist in Ein-Karem.